invaluable

A friend of mine was telling me a few weeks ago about how his brother is applying to colleges right now, and, after taking a look at his brother's essay, my friend basically re-wrote the essay while keeping the same original idea that his brother was going for. And my friend, now a second year medical student, told me that he was worried he might've made the essay sound too smart, and wondered if the admissions office could tell that the essay wasn't written by a high school senior. I asked for an example and my friend said that it was mostly because of his word choices. One of those words was "invaluable", and my friend explained how, if he were in high school, he might think that "invaluable" means "of no value", when it actually means "of extreme value".

Since then, this word has become precious to me, because even though it's word that could be misunderstood, it's actually a treasuring adjective, dressing up nouns to add "priceless" and "indispensable" into the meaning.

God's invaluable love and grace.
An invaluable friendship.
Invaluable life experiences.

Invaluable.

Labels: , ,

0 COMMENTS
Written on Monday, November 21, 2011 at 12:53 AM by tini